Monday, February 23, 2015

These Are the Days!

My Purpose
This week we talked to our crosswalk guard friend, Silvester, at Gibbs Pre-K. We usually meet with him in the parking lot right before he has to work. He is so stubborn and has so many questions about the gospel in general. Why? Why? Why? is his favorite word. We try to explain but sometimes he just doesn't let us get through our point. He knows the Bible really well and likes to read a lot. In fact he has read the entire Book of Mormon already! 

He would not commit to pray or let us explain what we wanted to. He just kept saying he has so much doubts and doesn't know what to think.... So he just keeps reading books and books and confusing himself. So Sister DeLaO and I were determined to get him to pray and to listen to us! We knew we would have to not master teach this lesson and tell him flat out what he needed to do. I couldn't do it because it was in Spanish, so I told Sister De La O to be bold! And she was definitely more than bold! 

She talked about the Apostacy and why there is so much confusion in the world, that when Jesus Christ was on the Earth there was no confusion, only "one faith, one Lord, one baptism". He wouldn't let her speak sometimes all the way through and she just looked at him and said, "I'm not done with my point of view. Let me finish and then you can ask questions afterwards. Ok?" She had to do that about three times. At the end we told him that the only person that would be able to answer his question would be God. That he NEEDED to pray and ask. So he told us, "I'm going to pray for 3 days at 8 pm at night and ask which church is true. I know an angel is going to come and tell me. If that doesn't happen, I'm done and not going to church." At first we were a bit hesitant at the angel coming and telling him, but then we thought "well he has faith. Who are we to tell him that can't happen." So we have been praying for him to receive an answer and that maybe one of his ancestors in the spirit world who wants to be baptized, would come and tell him. 

We just got back today from following up on his response to his question. We were eager to find out what his answer was. He told us that he had received an answer at a fiesta and that a man came and invited him to his church. He went yesterday and at first didn't like it, but began to start to like it. 

I was a little let down at first because he hadn't received an answer to attend our church but then I thought about my purpose as a missionary is to "invite other to come unto Christ". He was so grateful to us for planting this seed in him and helping him to understand the importance of church. In his prayer he thanked Heavenly Father for sending "two angels" to him and that he didn't have words to descibe how thankful he was. We invited him to come attend our church one day, and he said he would and that he wasn't fully set on this new church that he is going to. he agreed to having the Elders come as well to check up on him and that he would read the Book of Mormon again from the beginning and pray about its truthfulness. One day he will understand that this is the true church, but I am happy that I was able to help him a bit in "coming closer to Christ". That's our purpose. I'm going to miss being a full time missionary! 

This is the Place. 
This week we had two wonderful lessons about the temple and the importance of making sacred covenants with Heavenly Father in his house. We met with two less actives, Hermano Policarpo and Hermana Rodriguez about preparing themselves to go. They were both so excited. Hermana Rodriguez even said, "When can I meet with the Bishop for my recommendation? This sunday?" So we are working with them to prepare and get a temple prep class started in English. There are just so many miracles happening because of the start of this group. So many seeds planted and I know that their desire to go to the temple is a result of their being able to understand and apply the gospel in their lives.

I just know the temple is the place. We have been sharing this scripture with our members and I think it is so true that as we look to Christ as our light he will lead us to a promised place, which is the temple. That is the goal. This is where families can be together forever.

1 Nephi 17:13

"And I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if it so be that ye shall keep my commandments; wherefore, inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments ye shall be led towards the promised land; and ye shall know that it is by me that ye are led."

I cannot believe that 18 months have already passed by! So many experiences, people, and miracles that I will NEVER forget. This mission has prepared me for my life and I am so thankful to my Heavenly Father for allowing me the opportunity to serve him and strengthen my testimony as a result. I could not imagine my life without being a missionary and I am so grateful for all of the support from family members and friends in Oregon, Utah, Texas, and everywhere else!

I am grateful for my parents and the examples they are to me and for my sister Tupu and her desire to serve a mission as well. I will always be forever grateful for my Heavenly Father and my savior, Jesus Christ. I know they live and I know they love us. 

I've been listening to this song lately and I love the lyrics. 

"Every smile, every laugh, all the memories that we've had. 
That's what I'm taking with me, that's what I'm taking with me. 
Stronger Faith, No more tears, Yeah we've started something here, We'll grow.
That's what I'm taking with me when I go home. 
The dreams. These are the days. These are the days we'll remember."
Love y'all and I can't wait to talk to you soon! I've missed you and I will miss Texas!


Sister/Hermana Loo

Lunch with the YSA's 
Lunch Goodbyes 
Cutting up all my skirts to make a quilt 
Teaching the Amanza family & their Plan of Salvation outlines 
Hermano Policarpo 
Teaching Daily Dose 


Saying goodbye to our friends at our favorite Papusaria! :( Gotta find one in Oregon! 



Goodbye's with Herrera Family and Natasha 


Krystin, Sister Lambright, Familia Ashton, and Sister Boyle 



Nina! Who just received her mission call to Puebla South Mexico yesterday 
Sister Adams
Mckenna 
Momma Lesa 
Victor Lopez 
At don Mauro's 

Emailing at the Computer Lab! I'm going to miss Hermana De La O! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment