Huntsville be doing work!
We have another set of sisters in Huntsville to help with the English ward members and the YSA branch! There are already so many great miracles that have happened and so much work to be done here! Sister Hassle and Sister Lambright are going to do great things here and we are so excited to work with them! The Lord is truly hastening His work. Are you with him?
The power of the spirit
This last week we had a restoration lesson with our investigator Natasha who we met on campus. We went to go talk to us and she looked at our nametag and was like, "Wait, what?! I was meeting with missionaries down in Houston where I was from!" And so we set up a time to meet with her. :)
Right now she is really searching and seriously has no idea what she believes in... she is reading and researching everything!... I don't know how she does it and how she keeps everything straight! At the end of the lesson she asked a really good question about the Garden of Eden and the Fall of Adam & Eve. It was something that I never even thought about before, but as I was listening to her question I knew exactly how to answer it and what to tell her. I could feel the spirit testify to me and before I knew it, I had opened my mouth without really organizing my thoughts as to what I would say... And it all made sense! It made me think of the quote and scripture:
"I always know when I am speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost because I always learn something from what I've said." - Boyd K Packer
"...The time has verily come that it is necessary and expedient in me that you should open your mouths in proclaiming my gospel, the things of the kingdom, expounding the mysteries thereof out of the scriptures, according to that portion of Spirit and power which shall be given unto you, even as I will." - Doctrine & Covenants 71:1
Meet the Mormons
This last week as a mission we were able to watch a preview of the movie Meet the Mormons which is showing in theatres October 10th! It follows the lives of 6 mormons, The fighter, The Candy Bomber, The coach, The missionary mom, The bishop, & The Humanitarian! It was absolutely amazing! Really funny and also a very uplifting and inviting to the spirit.
I would highly recommend taking your friends and family to go see it if it is showing in a theatre near you. It will be showing in theatres and then later will be on Netflix and other online cites for free! Such a great missionary tool to introduce people to the church in a non pushy way.
Watch the trailer at meetthemormons.com
The power of the Spirit... Part II
We met two other girls on campus, Lindsay and Grace and talked to them about the church. They told us that they were strong in their faith but were interested in just learning about what we believed in. Well after a couple of weeks we were finally able to figure out a time that would work for them... They even invited a couple of their friends to join them during their lunch break.
So here we are in the third floor of the student center on campus sitting around a table. Hermana Hoj and I were nervous and didn't know how to best approach the situation because we didn't want it to be too "teachy" and "invasive" because we knew they were not interested in having us "convert" them. Well little did they know...
The power of the spirit part II... We asked each of them to share their testimonies with us in what they believe in and how they came to know of the truths they shared with us. As they each went around, I could feel the spirit as they bore their testimonies... and at about the same time Hermana Hoj and I were prompted to share the 13 Articles of Faith with them.
- We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
- We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.
- We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
- We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
- We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
- We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
- We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
- We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
- We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
- We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
- We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
- We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
- We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
And so one by one we read each of them. As we got to #8 we explained a brief explanation of the Book of Mormon and Grace asked, "So where did the Book of Mormon come from?" And we were able to share the Restoration... at about the time we were about to talk about the First Vision, it was time for two of the girls to go to class. They both looked at eachother and said, "But this is so much more interesting. It's ok. I don't want to go to class." (Yes! it is!) And then turned towards us anxiously engaged in what we were saying. I felt like I was telling a bedtime story to 4 little girls who were eager to hear the ending! And what a great story to be able to tell them!
They were just so intrigued and didn't know anything about the Book of Mormon. Sister Hoj and I were able to testify of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon as another testimony of Jesus Christ and invited them to read it and ask like Moroni invites us to do in Moroni 10:3-5. They have no idea what is coming their way. I pray that they will receive an answer and the spirit, essentially will "convert" them! :)
Come and Listen to a Prophet's Voice
This week on campus we made a General Conference board with prophets to be able to advertise and invite everyone to come listen to President Thomas S. Monson speak! On one board we had pictures of prophets from the Bible and Book of Mormon with the question, "If there were a living prophet, would you listen to him?" And then on another board we had a picture of Thomas S. Monson, Amos 3:7, and quotes that he shared in previous conference with the statement, "There is a living prophet, come and listen to him!
I am so excited to continue to invite people! Please keep these students in your prayers that they will be able to come and attend, listen, and feel uplifted by the spirit! Matt was on campus inviting people as well with us! And he was so good at it! What a go getter!
Are you prepared for conference? What questions do you have prepared for the spirit to answer while you watch?
I am so thankful to have a living prophet on the earth today, Thomas S. Monson. God loves all of his children, and he still loves us today. We are able to receive modern day revelation as a guide to help us in this increasingly wicked world. What a wonderful blessing!
Love, Sister Loo
Texas State Prison Museum...
Might take place of the best p-day activity ever at the Funeral Museum a couple of transfers ago... ;)
3rd Best BBQ place in the nation! MMMMMM GOOD!
With the new Huntsville Sisters
Huntsville State Park P-day Morning Studies :)
I got a new nametag! That makes 3 different languages!