Monday, June 16, 2014

I'm gonna be a Texas girl now, Y'all!

Sister Huber and I are staying together for another transfer and I am so excited! I look forward to the many miracles and blessing that come from another transfer together!

The decision... Texas or still wait for a VISA?

So this last week President Pingree asked me to decide if I wanted to stay in Texas or wait for my Visa. Apparently when a missionary reaches the halfway mark the church wants to get an answer. 

In my mind it made sense to just wait. Right? There's no harm in waiting. There were so many things passing through my mind. I have loved being here in Texas and have met so many wonderful people as a result. But then why did I get assigned to Brazil in the first place? 

I prayed and prayed. I kept getting the answer to stay here in Texas but I kept fighting it. I wanted to go to Brazil and learn Portuguese! That has always been a life dream for me and to be able to travel. 

But as I kept thinking and praying, I realized that these were worldly desires, something that Heavenly Father doesn't feel necessary for me to learn at this time. I put aside my pride and my desires and decided to submit to his will. As I did so and as I received a priesthood blessing I felt comfort and peace in the decision to stay in Texas. I know that this is the right thing for me to do. I guess I'll just have to learn this "southern" language some more. :)

Best Restoration Lesson

This past week we met with Joseph. Our ward mission leader James had met him selling pest control door to door and the topic of religion came up, as it does in most conversations here. Well James invited him to church and he was able to come last week and again this week too! 

We set up a lesson with him and took a recent returned missionary with us as well. I love taking RM's to lessons because they know what to talk about and we are able to teach in unity. We even gave her a couple parts to teach as well. 

We talked about the Restoration and it was such a good lesson. His cousin Mike, was even able to join us. It was probably the best I've been able to teach on the mission because I know it wasn't me teaching, but it was the spirit. We taught, followed with questions of understanding, and they understood the complete need for a Restoration. It was amazing!

Later in the week he texted asking us about Thomas S. Monson and where he could read more about the revelations that he has received lately. He love the enthusiasm and organization of the church!

6 Book of Mormons

On Wednesday, Sister Huber and I had an unusual block of time that we didn't have anything scheduled. Unusual because we have been VERY busy lately going from appointment to appointment. 

We weren't too excited about the huge chunk of time and so that night during planning we decided that we needed to make a goal so that we could use the time wisely and not just waste it away with silly tasks. So we decided to pass out 6 Book of Mormons during that time. 

We started off in one of the "golden" apartment complex's in our area. We were knocking doors and I just didn't feel like it was working. So I told Sister Huber, lets go walk to a different section... And on the way there. Bam! A YSA ready to hear a message! One down, 5 to go. 

We walk to an area. It doesn't feel right so we turn around and start towards a building with 1 bedroom apartments and in the hallway we see a lady and ask if we can share an uplifting message. She said Yes! 

So I shared Mosiah 24:14-15 about how Christ is able to lift us up in all things and how trials are a way for us to be patient and learn. She loved it! She told us that she had been going to a church where her Uncle was the pastor, but when he died it changed (makes me think of the apostasy). She doesn't like big churches because she likes fellowship of small churches and the pastor knowing her name. So we talked about home teaching and visiting teaching and how our church is worldwide but we meet in small congregations so we can take care of each other. I didn't even get the chance to finish explaining when she interrupted me, "Where is your church?" Its unfortunate because she isn't a YSA, but she is excited to learn more from the sisters in the home ward. Two down, 4 to go. 

We decided to try a different apartment complex and walk around. We see some guys outside, at first I thought they were old but Sister Huber just kept walking towards them. Its a good thing she did because as we walk around the corner... we see 3 YSA's sitting there!!!! And we share a message! 5 down, 1 to go. 

We kept walking and there was another YSA and so we stopped to talk to her and shared a message! It was a miracle! 6 Book of Mormons and lessons passed out in 2 1/2 hours! I know that because we had set this goal, Heavenly Father provided a way for it to be fulfilled. We were able to invite so many people to hear a message and learn more about the Savior as a result. 

Temple with "the boys"

We were able to go to the temple yesterday with KP, David, and Viet. It was KP and Viet's first time at the temple and David's first time since being baptized. It was so great and the spirit was so strong! 

Before we left, KP offered a prayer and you could really feel the spirit of his testimony through it. He has grown so much!

Keep the Sabbath Day Holy

Viet was able to get a new job and he doesn't work on Sunday! Thank you so much for all the prayers! Unfortunately with the new job he won't be able to come to FHE and Institute which he was really bummed about, but he is able to come to church starting in July! 

He was so cute when he was telling us about it. He said that he wanted to apply for a different job but he found out that he would have to work on Sundays and so he didn't apply. I told him that Heavenly Father would bless him for keeping the commandments and I know he really will! I am so excited for him to come to church! He is just progressing so much and he will be bringing a friend to FHE and Institute as well this week.

Danielle's Baptism

Danielle was baptized on Saturday and her boyfriend, who is serving a mission in Honduras, family was able to be there. She also invited 3 friends to come and they are excited to come to more "events" with Danielle! Her parents and sister were able to be there too. She is going to set such a good example for them. 

The spirit was so strong during her baptism. The strongest I have ever felt. I think it was because she knew the covenants she was making with Heavenly Father and understood what they mean. She has such a strong testimony. 

Well again another font plug problem... We got to the building and apparently there had been a baptism earlier that day. They had a new plug installed earlier in the week and it was draining so slow. We didn't know what was wrong with it. And then it kept leaking. So I had to hike up my skirt and get in the font to figure out the plug! Well nothing worked, it still leaks so we just had to roll with it. By the time she got in the font to be baptized, the water was pretty low but it worked out just fine and no one seemed to notice the drain noises. 

Love y'all! 


Sister Loo

At night I wrap my head in a pillowcase
 so my hair will stay longer...
...Now I camouflage into the bed! 
Birthday Cake with Isaaclyn! June Birthdays! 
Danielle's baptism! 
Danielle with her boyfriends family- The Nunez's 
We had a lesson on the 10 commandments
 and taught Danielle a fun little hand trick
 to be able to remember them.
The third is do not take the Lord's name in vain.
Danielle got a huge kick out of that.
We have our own sign now for anyone who says,
OMG and disobeys the third commandment.
Danielle and the Howards after the baptism 
Only in Texas will you have a crawfish sushi roll...
Sister King and I at MLC :) 
Buc-Ees Trip!
6 Book of Mormons Miracle
No this is not Mexico...  
Our weekly planning board!
Heavenly Father is blessing us so much! 
With "the boys" at the temple...
KP and Viets first time,
and David's first time after being baptized. 

Sooo many mosquito bites...

No comments:

Post a Comment