Monday, June 23, 2014

Change of Heart

You know... 

You know missionary work is going great when... A recent convert KP and investigator Viet become best friends and decide to start a business together in the future. And when they start calling each other their "little" and "big" brother. 

You know your in Texas when... You invite someone to read Moroni's promise at the end of a restoration lesson and he reads, "Behold, I would exhort you that when Y'ALL shall read these things..."

The spirit broke the Southern Baptist

So remember Mike? Our southern baptist friend who had so many questions and we had to provide answers from the bible?

Well we hadn't been able to get a hold of him and he wasn't responding to any of our texts for about 2 weeks... we decided to just text him and remind him about church and he responds...

"Yes I will and baptize me :) ... I want what you all have... And I see that we all believe the same thing..."

I nearly fell over... We are teaching 3 Mike's right now and I thought... Wait. Is this the right mike? I swear this isn't him.

Sister Huber just looked shocked and said, "Wait, are we being punk'd?"

It still hasn't settled in. I was soooo happy!

The next day at church we talked to him about it and told him that we thought we were being punk'd. He got a huge laugh out of that.

He said he just needed time to sit and meditate about it. As he looked back on our meetings, he realized that we both came to the same conclusions and that we all believed the same thing. Sister Huber and I just couldn't stop smiling. 

I asked him if he talked to his parents about it and he said, "well that's going to take a bit of time. You can't just spring that on Southern Baptists." I knew that Grandma Loo would be proud and told him that my grandma was a southern baptist and all her family still is but that she is now a wonderful member of the church. He thought that was cool and said, "Well then you totally understand then." :)

We are going to schedule a baptismal date with him this week for the beginning of July!

The spirit teaches.

Teaching by the spirit is so important. The spirit is what converts people, not us.  

We were teaching Benjamin this week at the temple. We planned to teach the Restoration and about halfway through the Apostasy I could tell that he just wasn't in it. The spirit just wasn't there. So I stopped and I said to him, "Benjamin, what's up? You seem like you are distracted and worried."

He said as a tear ran down his face, "I just can't stop thinking about getting a job. I'm so worried."

So we opened up our scriptures and read... we asked him a question and sat there for what seemed like an hour waiting for a response. But when he did respond it was so powerful. I realized that I don't have to talk all the time. It is during those quiet moments that the spirit will testify. It's not awkward like I think it is going to be. 

He offered the closing prayer and it was so wonderful. And two days later, he got a job.

As soon as we really found out his needs were is when the spirit was able to be there. We were able to show him how when we are struggling and worried if we open up our scriptures and pray, we will receive comfort and strength. That was the lesson we needed to teach that day. I am so thankful for the spirit. 

"I always know when I am speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost because I always learn something from what I've said." - Boyd K. Packer

Love y'all!

Sister Loo

The "snow cone" church as Danielle calls it 
We had an impromptu game night for an investigator
who asked if there was an activity Wednesday night.
And without hesitation, we said "of course!"
And there wasn't a game night... so we planned one! My team won! 
Face mask fun! 


No comments:

Post a Comment