Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy New Year from Texas!

As I look back at this last year I am reminded of all the many blessings that Heavenly Father has blessed me with. I not only was able to graduate from SUU, I turned in my mission papers, received my call, reported to the Missionary Training Center, and received a reassignment to the Houston Texas Mission! Wow what a great year!

This week Sister King and I decided that we needed to be better about strictly following and being obedient to the morning schedule:

6:30 a.m. Wake Up, exercise (30 minutes), get ready for the day, eat breakfast
8:00 - 9:00 Personal Study
9:00 - 10:00 Companionship Study
10:00 - 11:00 Portuguese Language Study

... and let me tell you the spirit was so strong this week! Ashley is preparing to be baptized this Saturday at 7:00. She couldn't be more excited and it is amazing to see her testimony of the gospel grow and grow. She has such a great relationship with Heavenly Father and continually wants to learn more and more and more.

We also had a lesson with Frank this week. We asked him to pray about a decision to be baptized. We met in the chapel and his friend Erin who was home for break from BYU was able to be there and share her testimony with him. We read Enos 1 together and tried to understand his concerns about baptism. His whole family is catholic and he is worried about the cultural shock of not being able to participate in certain activities (mainly drinking with his family). He knows the church is true and when we asked him when he has felt the spirit, it has been every time that he has met with us! He also shared that he feels it stronger when he attends church with us rather than at the Catholic church he goes to.

I have never felt the spirit so strong and also in a different way. I haven't ever felt the spirit like that before. It was so great and amazing! It wasn't that it was such a great spiritual lesson but the Holy Ghost was really testifying to me of the truth of the church and prayer.

I was reading in the ensign the other day and I loved this analogy. I would call it "Bad Bounces." I think this can really apply to us especially since sports has been a big part of many of our lives. As you know this can apply to the bad bounces in sports but also the "bad bounces" in life. Elder J. Christopher Lansing says, Bad bounces... "They are part of the game. They are not predictable in size or frequency. A good player realizes that bad bounces are part of life and tries to continue living with faith and courage." He also talks about the movie Finding Nemo and that when Merlin, his father is trying to find Nemo he faces lots of challenges but Dory's motto is Just Keep Swimming. I love that!

JUST KEEP SWIMMING and be on your knees in prayer always and the Lord will bless you through trials!

Love,

Sister Loo

P.S. Fun fact- There are more licensed guns in Texas than cars! (Yeah it's a whole different country down here)

The planners we made for the assistants. The one on the Left
 is for Elder Wilstead who is going home this next transfer. 
Elder Frandsen is a Spanish speaking missionary.

Taco Cart with the District

My favorite billboard so far!




No comments:

Post a Comment