Monday, January 27, 2014

GUATEMALA & Miracles

So... Tupu has been called to the Quetzaltenango Guatemala mission! I am so excited for her! She reports on June 11th to the Guatemala MTC. Can't wait to speak Spanish/Portuguese with her! :)

Miracle Phone Call
Tuesday we had exchanges with the Magnolia Sisters. After miscommunicating who would come to which area, we prayed to decide if we still needed to do exchanges in the middle of a gas station. We decided that we needed to, even though it would be inconvenient to drive to the Magnolia Sisters apartment and switch companions.

So Sister Hassell came with me to our area and we were planning on Monday night. It was late and about time to go to bed but we had a 3-4 hour gap that we didn't have anything planned. We went through our list of members, investigators, and less actives and none of the members were jumping out at me to visit. Sister Hassell then remembered, Erick, a guy that she has taught the first lesson to. it was 10:26 and so we didn't have any time to call him that night. 

Tuesday morning we called him and he picked up! We scheduled an appointment for later on in the day! 

We gave Erick a church tour and spent a lot of time explaining the sacrament and the Atonement. We ended at the baptismal font and explained baptism. He then said, "Well I've never been baptized. That's something I want to do." I didn't hesitate and immediately asked him, "Well we are having a baptismal service on the 15th of February. Erick will you prepare yourself to be baptized on that date by someone holding the priesthood authority?" AND HE SAID YES!!!!! He was smiling so big but trying to hide his excitement.

We then were just casually talking around the font when he grabbed a chair and said, "Alright I'm going to open up to ya'll." He sat down and we all just pulled up chairs around him. He opened up about his life and how he wants to come closer to God and improve! 

Erick also said that he had been talking to his friend, Alan in the morning about a speeding ticket he recently got. Alan was getting mad at the ticket and then Erick just said to him, "Alan we just need to go to church..." No sooner had this come out of his mouth then his phone rang and it was us asking him if he wanted to meet at the church! A coincidence? I think not! #miraclemoment

At the end he asked,
 "So how many times do you want to meet before my baptism?" 
And I said, "Well whatever you would like to do. We could meet everyday if you wanted to!"
He replied, "Ok. Let's do that. Tomorrow at the same time?"

So we have met with Erick pretty much everyday! He is a sponge and is soaking in everything we say. He has a smoking problem and so we have set goals to help him stop smoking. He has prayed to Heavenly Father for help and is doing a great job!

Packed Chapel
Yesterday at church we had 6 nonmembers (Erick brought Alan to church!) and 4 less actives! The chapel was packed! Our Ward Mission Leader was running around like a chicken with his head cut off! He leaned over and mouthed to us, "WOW! There are a lot of investigators here!" I couldn't help but think, "IVAN Where have you been???" 

Home Teaching?
Frank was sitting next to me at sacrament meeting and the high councilman was talking about Home teaching. He said that every member should have a home teacher. And I heard frank say under his breath, "Well that's not fair. I don't have one." So I leaned over and said to him, "Well Frank if you want some home teachers you can!" He sat there thinking...

After the third hour we found him and he said he enjoyed the lesson again on home teaching. I asked him if he wanted home teachers again and he sat there for a couple seconds and said, "Maybe. I'll think about it." Who would've thought that would catch Franks interest!

Well love ya'll! All I can say is the Church is true and miracles are happening around the world! I can't wait for Tupu to be a missionary! It is an experience that you will never regret in deciding to serve. 


Sister Loo
Sister King and I found these dresses at Goodwill.
We couldn't help but take a classic sister missionary
photo from back in the day. 
SUSHI...How I have missed you.
Sister King and I emotional over Tupu serving a mission
Me and miss Queen Bey...representing Houston!

No comments:

Post a Comment