Monday, January 20, 2014

Another missionary in the family!

This week my sister Tupu is getting her mission call! I couldn't be any more proud of her. Of course I am hoping for Brazil so that we can speak Portuguese to each other. Anyone else have any guesses? We hope to find out by Wednesday.

Emotional and proud big sister
So on Friday we had interviews with the mission president and I told him that Tupu had submitted her papers. We had a good talk and then he gave a closing prayer. It was so beautiful and I felt the spirit so strongly. He blessed my family and Tupu. At this point I started to cry... and then I couldn't stop after going back to the room for training. I was so happy and overcome with the spirit. 

At the end the mission president's wife asked for a couple of missionaries to bear their testimony and so I volunteered. I had stopped crying at this point, but then the spirit was so strong and I started talking about Tupu going on a mission... So the waterworks started going again. I am just so happy and proud of your decision to go, Toops. What a blessing for our family at this time! We are going to have two missionaries out somewhere in the world. I can't wait to see where you are going. I never would have thought this would happen in our family but with the recent age change (sisters can now go at age 19) it is made possible. WOW! 

3 Baptisms by February 14th

This week Sister King and I refocused and were remotivated to strive hard to reach our goal. We know that in order to reach it we need to see some miracles and so we are working really hard to be strictly obedient, which includes waking up exactly at 6:30. As everyone knows, I am not a morning person so this can be really hard. So to help me out I placed my alarm clock across the room so I would have to get out of bed to shut it off. It worked!

We also are using Power Hour (6:00-7:00pm) to the best of our ability. On Wednesday we prayed to know where to go. After trying to figure out where YSA Sisters would be we decided that we should go to a shoe store... Then sister King and I thought of the same place. Before we went in Sister King offered a really nice prayer asking Heavenly Father to direct us and be specific in who we needed to talk to. The spirit was so strong and my heart was beating out of my chest! I knew there was someone in there that was ready to hear the message of the restored gospel.

We felt like we should talk to the cashier... but that meant buying something (which I guess wasn't a huge problem ;) ). As we were about to check out both of our hearts kept beating faster and faster. Thank you Heavenly Father for the clear answer! Her name is Kalin and she has friends who are on missions. She has also attended church with her friend who is at BYU a couple of times (sounds like another Frank!). We are hoping to meet with her this week and talk with her more about the church. She said she is very open and interested in coming to church with us!

We asked Heavenly Father to put more sisters in our paths and he has done so! This week it seems as if we have only talked to girls!

New "ASL" Sister Missionaries???
Sister King and I have been slowly learning American Sign Language. We have an ASL district in our zone and an Elder who is deaf. Every preparation day when we get together he is always sitting off by himself and lonely. So we made an effort to learn some signs so we can slightly communicate with him. 

There is a less active in our ward who knows sign language so we asked him if he could teach us and we got an appointment with him! Before this he wouldn't even answer our texts back! We have gone and visited with him a couple of times and even gave a lesson to a couple of his non member friends who just happened to be at the house when we stopped by one day.

We learned how to finger spell and have been practicing signing street names while we are in the car. Today is his birthday so we learned and taught the whole zone Happy Birthday in sign language. We had cake, ice cream, and pani popo. He was so surprised and he even started crying! We all played card games and it was great because a lot of the zone was able to communicate and play games with him. Sister King and I had a great time and he really appreciated us making the effort to get to know him and talk to him.

I know this church is true! I am so thankful for missionary work and the opportunity to share the gospel with all who are prepared and waiting to hear our wonderful message. Continue being such great examples... And we get to hear where Tupu is going to serve this week! 

Love you!

Sister Loo

No comments:

Post a Comment