Monday, March 24, 2014

Say that again?!...

SAY THAT AGAIN?! (From Sister King's Blog)

Exchange dos- I was in magnolia again the sisters were telling me about this cute little young family in their apartment complex that invites them over all the time and feeds them. SUPER nice family. The Dad is studying to be a minister and he is just genuinely curious about the gospel. We were walking to the apartment office and we ran into him. I introduced myself and he asked me where I was serving and I told him the "Young Single Adult Congregation".. This was our conversation...

"oh! Do you ever go to Lonestar college in Montgomery?"

-"Yeah we go to The Mission, that christian group there every Wednesday!"

"Yup, I knew it! *looks at my name tag* Sister King! I have heard about you and Sister.... ummm... L--"

"LOO!?"

"Yeah! I work with some students that run that group. They asked me to come check it out sometime. Maybe I will come this next week!"

WHAT.... OKAY. So the students at THE MISSION are TALKING ABOUT US!!! WHO cares what they are saying, like obviously they have talked about us enough that he knows my name!

WHY I BELIEVE

So at the beginning of Sister King and I's first transfer together and after a long brainstorming session we decided that we wanted to have a Why I Believe Fireside in the Sam Houston 1st Ward. The fireside would be a combination of musical numbers and speakers who are converts and would share their conversion stories. Why they believe in Mormonism and why they became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. BUT, we didn't think that we were ready for that just yet. Finally, In the last couple of weeks in the ward we started to make preparations for it and decided that our ward was in deed ready! 

So the fireside was yesterday, Sunday March 23rd.  Sister King told me that it turned out to be a HUGE success! I was so happy that it worked out!... And guess who came? A couple of the leaders from The Mission! And this is where I will insert parts of Sister King's blog this week. 

"We are sitting there and all of the sudden STEWART walks in with 2 or 3 other people from the mission!  Remember Stewart? The PRESIDENT of THE MISSION at the Lonestar Campus? Johnny (a member of our ward that goes to the mission) told us that they decided that since we always support them, they can support us! They were really impressed. Stewart especially liked President Pingrees talk. He wanted to go up and meet him! So of course we introduced him. He was very subdued! Normally he is very defensive, but we think that the spirit softened his heart. It was cool to see him taking everything in and trying to figure it all out in his head.  He didn't want to leave the chapel. And, when he saw the temples booth, he was very impressed was really curious about that. I looked over at one point and saw him talking to President Pingree and they had a pretty long conversation! Sister Shell and I talked to a bunch of other people and there were quite a few people that were interested in learning more! So we set a few appointments for this week :) 

Because of the fireside we have at least 4 new investigators. At the end, right before we left, President came up to me and said, "I just thought that I would let you know that Stewart just walked up to me and said, 'Sir, would it be alright if I go play the piano in the chapel?' There is something special about that kid!" My jaw almost hit the floor. Of course President said, "Yes, stay as long as you would like!" STEWART?! WHAT? Man... THIS FIRESIDE WAS UNREAL."

Oh I was so happy that this fireside was such a huge success! And now we are working with the Sam Houston 2nd Ward to be ready for something like this!

FOOD WARS

Tuesday we had dinner with our first counselor in the bishopric and his wife, Brother and Sister Norlund. Sister Norlund lived in Hawaii for a while and so they decided to spoil us and take us to a Japanese Seafood Buffet. I was in Heaven! All you can eat clams, crab, and sushi! Oh it was sooooo good! 

Sister Norlund shared this quote that I really liked, "Work like it depends only upon you, Pray like it depends only on God."

Thursday a member of the ward, Michelle Williams, took us to whole foods for dinner and I had this AMAZING grilled cheese sandwich. It reminded me of home and grilled cheese grill food cart in Portland. But, I will have to say that it possible was even better and more unique. It was on wheat bread with brie, fig spread, and almonds. It was savory but then had a sweet bite to it. It almost tasted like I was eating cheese and a mild honey (not too sweet) sandwich... Okay enough of the food. But it definitely had Portland's stamp of approval.

Prayer

In ward conference yesterday our stake president gave a really good talk. In it he talked about prayer and how we need to be careful for what we are asking for. Are we asking for the right thing?

 Now president Lauck is probably in his early 50's and still young, but there is something wrong with his legs and so he can't walk without two hiking sticks to help him. He said that he doesn't pray to be healed but he prays for strength to be able to fulfill all the duties he has as a priesthood holder, father, and husband. I thought that was really inspiring. 

I know that many times I pray for what I want and not necessarily for things that are realistic that they Lord is able to bless us with. Now I'm not saying that miracles aren't possible. I see miracles all the time. But I thought he had great insight into prayer and how we can be better at our communication with Heavenly Father.

I love to see the Temple

We were able to go to the temple and I was so excited because I really felt like I needed direction as to how to help this ward. Sister Walker and I both felt like we needed to pray specifically for help and guidance for this ward as we were going to the session. 

Afterwards I was sitting in the celestial room thinking and praying and listening to the spirit. I felt like I just needed to open the scriptures so I just opened them and I had flipped to the index. I thought "That's weird. How is this supposed to help me." I was about to shut it and open it again, but i realized that I had flipped to reveal in the index. So I started to skim through some of the verses. I was attracted to Alma 26:22 and so I read that verse and continued to read the rest of the chapter. But, verses 26-31 really stood out to me and comforted me, especially when it talks about being patient with our afflictions and eventually the Lord will give us success. That our joy would be made full if we could be the means of saving some. After reading I knew that what I needed to do was to be positive and stay patient. 

Well I'll end with another favorite scripture of the week-

Daniel 12:3 - "And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever."

Love,

Sister Loo

Searching for the "Gold"en investigators.
Prop credits thanks to Grandma Loo 
At LoneStar campus with the big rubber ducky!
Why I believe fireside...


Temple :)
LDSSA after party...
With Kandice at Bahama Bucks - we had a great lesson with her.
Best Easter package!  I just love my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment