Monday, December 15, 2014

Christmas Miracles

Book of Mormon Stories
We went over this last week to a part member families house to read the Book of Mormon with them. We started off reading about Nephi getting the gold plates... At first I wasn't really sure how much the kids would like it because they can kind of be rowdy sometimes. They are ages 12, 11, and 9. But as we read bits and pieces of the chapters and piecing together the story they were getting SO into it. They loved it and were even guessing what would happen next! 

We then talked about how great of a story it is and it is fun to read, but why do we read these stories? To liken them unto us so we can learn. And so I asked them what they learned from the story that they can apply to their lives. They gave awesome answers. The Book of Mormon brings a spirit like nothing else. It is truly a life changing book and I know that it is true.

A Long Awaited Baptism
Well after waiting for what seems like forever, Lori finally was able to get married on Tuesday and baptized on Saturday!

On Tuesday Hermana DeLaO and I went over to do her hair and makeup. As we were doing so, Ken asked me to cut his hair! And so I did... with my eyebrow scissors and a pair of school scissors. It was interesting, but I think it turned out well. 

Saturday Hermana Hoj was able to come and Lori was baptized on the same day as another sister the Elders were teaching as well. We waited by the font for Lori to be baptized and the spirit was so strong. After we went into the bathroom to change and she couldn't stop crying. It was so sweet. She just kept saying, "I've waited for this moment for so long... I feel so good." She couldn't stop crying for the rest of the day. At the baptismal service she even shared her testimony on how much her life has changed. The spirit was so strong. I am so happy for her. 

Her daughter, Amber even came! Which is a miracle in and of itself. Heavenly Father definitely works in mysterious ways... Amber got sick and couldn't stop throwing up and so she said a prayer that if he helped her to stop throwing up that she would read the Book of Mormon AND go to her moms baptism. And guess what? She stopped throwing up... So she started reading the Book of Mormon and has loved it. 

In the few days, her countenance has changed tremendously and she is so much happier. I'm telling you, the Book of Mormon changes lives! Before she didn't even believe in God. She was Pagan!

He Is the Gift Miracles
Invitation on the corner- So a couple weeks ago a young women had invited her friend, Talon to come to mutual and Hermana Hoj and I just happened to be there that day. We didn't recognize him and started talking to him about the Book of Mormon and gave him a copy to read. We had been trying to invite someone to be baptized and so amidst so much commotion we invited him and asked him what that would mean to him. He replied, "Well I guess you would see a lot more of me then." 

Well we hadn't seen him for a couple of weeks until this week when we were driving past the Institute building on our way to our English Classes. I noticed someone sitting in front of the Institute building and was impressed to turn around and go back. So we did... and it was Talon. He was waiting for his friend. 

I asked him if he had read the Book of Mormon and prayed. He said, "yeah I read half of it over Thanksgiving break... it's inspiring and I know it's true!" I was not expecting that answer! It was awesome!

We then watched the video He is the Gift with him and while we were watching it I felt impressed to ask him to set a date to be baptized. He pulled out his phone and we talked about what needed to happen before then and set a date for him to be baptized January 10 right there on the corner of the street! :) He put it in his phone, went to the "Sharing the Gospel" class for mutual, and then went home and told his mom, "I'm a Mormon now!" 

Spirit of Christmas - We were tracting some trailers and ran into this women who had met with missionaries before in Las Vegas. She was talking in Spanish and from what I could understand she just did not seem interested AT ALL... she was actually really stand offish. 

So instead we asked if we could watch the He is the Gift video with her... She pulled it up on her phone and started watching it. I usually don't look at the people as they are watching it just so it's not awkward and look down on the ground... This time towards the end I looked up and she was crying! It was amazing! We told her about our Ward Christmas Party and Church and she said, "yeah I think I will come to church this Sunday." What happened that made this huge change of heart?... The spirit of Christmas... 

I hope that you have felt that spirit this season! I am thankful for the wonderful gift of the Savior. I know He lives and loves us!

Love y'all too!


Hermana Loo

Milking a Cow today at the Harris' 
At the Harris' house!



Lori Baptism!

Our Homemade Christmas Tree :)

No comments:

Post a Comment