Monday, December 16, 2013

Feast or Famine...(part 2)

Wow... Feast or Famine I guess is the theme of some of my weeks! This week was awesome but I have to say I was more than exhausted by the end.

Prayers in the Canned Food Aisle
So Monday night Sister King and I went to the grocery store to contact. As we were in the store I said, "Dang it! We forgot to pray before we came in!" So I grabbed Sister King by the arm and pulled her into the canned vegetable isle. We both felt a little awkward but we prayed. I started to say a prayer when halfway through I heard someone's footsteps coming down the isle. I hurriedly finished the prayer and opened my eyes to see Sister King looking at the nearest canned vegetable. She couldn't handle the awkwardness and had to open her eyes with arms half folded. We quickly left as the guy gave us a crazy look and we busted up laughing from how awkward it was. Only on a mission!

Mission before Baptism
This week we finally got to meet with Brandon! Thank you so much for all your prayers because they definitely helped! He was just really busy with work but we finally got him to agree to a lesson. At the beginning of the lesson he told us he had a couple of questions about missions... Not sure what he would ask he says, "So since I'm 21. Have I missed out on the whole mission thing? Because I'm really interested in doing that in the future." Definitely not the question we were expecting! We haven't even asked him to get baptized yet. 

We taught him The Plan of Salvation and he really enjoyed it. Since his Mother passed away a couple of years ago, it was a great topic to talk with him about. I love teaching Brandon because you can tell that he really internalizes what we say and makes sure that it makes sense to him. He asked many questions but loved the truth of being with our Heavenly Father before we are born, the Spirit World, and the 3 degrees of glory. At the end of the lesson I felt strongly that I needed to ask him to get baptized. I did and he replied, "Well I was already planning to. I just want to make sure I understand and am doing it for the right reasons." Now all we have to do is get him to church!

"Little Brother"
So not only do Sister King and I have a big brother but we also have an annoying little brother that loves to tease us, his name is Frank! At first the meetings with Frank were really awkward but we realized after meeting this last time that he just likes to tease us and be sarcastic. He told us that he appreciates our sense of humor. It was the sweetest thing!

We taught him the Plan of Salvation as well and during the lesson we were talking about the Gift of the Holy Ghost and how after he is baptized he can have it all the time. Well Frank replies with a smart alek comment that I have to admit was pretty funny at the same time, "Well... But, I don't really think I'd like having the chills 24/7..." That's Frank for you!

Texan BBQ Fail
Kevin took us to eat at Rudy's BBQ and it was alright after we asked our millions of questions at the counter. Dad's ego is going to grow a bit here so caution... I must say that my Dad's BBQ in the Trager was 10 times better than this BBQ. The brisket was moist however the sauce was awful and the beans was another story. You have to have good beans with BBQ and this place did not live up to all the hype unfortunately.

"I love to testify of Christ"
We had been invited by Fitz to come over to his house to meet, a whole new level of trust! We weren't sure what to expect because his text messages made it seem like a party but we asked if we could share a message and he said we could. We also told him that we were bringing a friend and he responded, "Make sure that friend brings no other friends. No alcohol and no illegal substances." Does he not understand that we are Mormon? :)

Anyways, it turned out that it was a party to wind down from finals and there were 4 other friends of his there. Score! Finding through investigators! They all were musically talented and so we ended up having a little talent show for us. His friend Max played the classical guitar, Casey the trumpet, Elizabeth sang a German Opera song for us, and Fitz played a piano. Fitz is an incredible pianist. We requested he play an impromptu Christmas song and it was beautiful! As he was playing we would request to change it to different genres like blues, swing, reggae, and different key changes. And he would do it off the top of his head! He is so talented as well as all of his friends. We thought to invite them to be a part of our christmas sacrament meeting program as a way to draw them to church and they all agreed to play! They were really interested and excited to play for the ward... We still have to talk to Bishop about this. But I hope it works out.

Before we left, Fitz's dad started talking to us about leaving a legacy, building love and trust in the home, and our purpose. He kept going on and on. Sister King and I were trying to take every opportunity to testify and let him know that we believed in the same things he did. But he kept talking and talking. Finally he started asking everyone what their passions were. At first I thought I would just say golf but then I thought, Hmmm how can I turn this my way so I can share a little message and my testimony? So when it came my turn and he asked me what my passion was, although I felt really really nerdy, I said, "I love to testify of Jesus Christ." But it worked! I got to tell them about missions and the wonderful opportunity it was to help people improve their lives and come closer to Jesus Christ. That it was a privilege to wear his name on my heart for a year and a half. 

Fasting Works!
Sunday was the most exhausting day of my mission yet. Not only did Sister King and I give the opening & closing prayers, but we sang in the choir and had 3 investigators at church! You could say it was quite the day, but there was so many miracles that happened:

#1 Elizabeth who we met the day before at Fitz's party ended up coming with us to sing in the choir for sacrament meeting! 

#2 Bryce's phone was disconnected and we had no way of communicating with him and invite him to church. Sunday morning we get a call from an unknown number and guess who it is? Bryce and he was telling us that he was going to come to church!

#3 Frank attended all 3 hours of church! And he loved it!

#4 Sister King and I decided to make a goal and fast to have 4 investigators at church and we ended up having 3 - Bryce, Elizabeth, and Frank.

Quote of the Week
After teaching Raul about baptism and the Holy Ghost his brother turns to Sister King and I and quietly says, "So what do you think about Weed?" It sounded as if he was inviting us to smoke with him. After seeing our faces I think he understood that we were confused and explained further that he just wanted to know because he had to write about the pros and cons of weed for a school paper. 

Oh even though I would love to take a nap right now and am beyond tired, I love being on a mission! There is nothing greater that I could think of doing! I love this church and it is so true! I'm so thankful for this Christmas season and the hearts that are being prepared for Sister King and I to teach. 

Love ya'll and hope you remember the true spirit of Christmas! Feliz Natal!

Te Amo,


Sister Loo
Fun pics with Jane (a survivor of brain cancer)
Sister King's version of "tired" companion study.
(Had to sneak a pic of this. LOL!)
Brandon got a new jacket and his Book of Mormon
fit in the front pocket.  We started calling it his
Book of Mormon pocket.  He said they should sell the jacket
at Christian bookstores and this should be the pose on the mannequin.
Sister King and I asked about 'everything' on the menu and
then proceeded to get samples of everything.  yum yum!
BBQ at "Rudy's" w/ our 'Big Brother' Kevin.
He takes us out to eat every month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment