Monday, October 13, 2014

Truth

"This is SO true!"
We had another wonderful 13 Articles of Faith lesson with Natasha! I love giving those lessons because it is a perfect way to tell YSA's everything that we believe in and get right down to their concerns. If they have major concerns with that, well then we know off the bat they aren't interested in our message. During our entire lesson I would just silently cheer to myself with everything Natasha was saying:

1. She now knows God is her Heavenly Father... YAY!

2. She was asking some baptists about their thoughts on the trinity. They were trying to show her scripture references in the bible and she kept looking at them like they were crazy... she just wanted to tell them, "You're looking at it wrong. It states right where you are pointing to me that they are all separate beings.." YAY!

3. She believes the Book of Mormon to be true. She has a cute little sticky note on her Book of Mormon that says, "Read every day" And she has! Each day she picks it up she thinks, "There is no way this isn't true!" And then she will put it down and doubt (we shared those feelings are from Satan), and then she will pick up the Book of Mormon again and think, "This is SO true."

Please keep her in your prayers that she will receive guidance and know that it is true!

Faithfully being Lovingly Bold
We had MLC last week and then Specialized training and interviews this week with President Mortensen and each meeting Hermana Hoj and I just felt like we needed to be bold in setting a date for baptism with Gabby.

So we went that day to meet with her. Sat her down and I told her. "Gabby you are ready! Heavenly Father is proud of you and wants you to move forward! We have been praying about when Heavenly Father would have you be baptized and we feel really good about October 25th! What do you think?"
She looked at us and said, "the day after my birthday? That actually sounds awesome!" 

We created a plan for her to read her scriptures, come to church, and talk to her family about it. 

Then her Grandma came and sat down. Gabby told her what had happened and that she wanted to get baptized and her grandma said... NO! :( We were all heartbroken and Gabby burst into tears! We talked to her grandma about what her concerns were and she said that Gabby needed to know more and wasn't ready. She needed to attend church for a whole year before she can get baptized.

We told Gabby to not give up and to have faith! The next day we went over and she told us that her family is okay with her getting baptized but they want her to go to church more often and regularly but still for a year. Ahh! Way too long! She is ready now! But we understand their concerns. We told her to set a goal with Heavenly Father of when he thinks she would be ready by and then to work with it. That if she works her hardest, Heavenly Father would provide for miracles to happen so that she can get baptized. 

She came to church yesterday and told me that she found out her Great Grandma in Mexico is Mormon! She was so excited because this is one of her major concerns about being baptized... that she is the only member in her family and it will be really hard. Miracles are already happening!

We are going to teach her grandma and her all in Spanish from now on and do family history with Gabby! I have definitely gained a testimony of the spirit of Elijah through finding our ancestors and preparing them for ordinances of salvation!

Please keep her and her family in your prayers! We know that her families hearts will be softened as she puts forth effort and shows them her testimony through her example!

Ponder, Ask, Prepare
This week I was really struggling to re-evaluate my efforts here in this ward. Am I focusing on the right things that should be a priority? How can I best help the YSA branch? How can I best help the Spanish members? 

As I thought about this, I was overwhelmed and didn't feel like I had faithfully relied on Heavenly Father as much as I needed to. I hadn't really focused on his spirit. I was on cruise control on what felt right and what "sounded" right in my brain. Not that I wasn't doing anything wrong, but was I doing what Heavenly Father thought was best?

That night I prayed and prayed and prayed, striving to seek inspiration through the Holy Ghost and ask for his help. And I know I needed his help and guidance!

The next day during personal study, I picked up from where I left off in the Book of Mormon. You know those times when you are reading and you aren't necessarily processing ALL of what is being said? Well, that is what I was doing and then a thought popped into my head, "Read those first couple of verses again." 

So I did. 3 Nephi 17: 1-3 

 1 Behold, now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words he looked round about again on the multitude, and he said unto them: Behold, my time is at hand.

 I perceive that ye are weak, that ye cannot understand all my words which I am commanded of the Father to speak unto you at this time.

 Therefore, go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand, and prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again.

It was perfect! A sincere answer to prayer and another testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon! It was not a coincidence that I had just picked up where I was reading and received this counsel. 

As we ponder and ask Heavenly Father what we need to do and what we don't understand he will answer us as we prepare our minds and feast upon the scriptures. We then need to be ready to act upon those promptings! 

Love y'all! Church is true and the Book is blue!

Sister/Hermana Loo :)

Mission Galveston: FAIL
Ken & Lori are back! Ken wrecked the truck on the way back...
Trying SUPER HOT peppers...
Exchanges with Sister Schellhous
SHSU Homecoming Parade.
We didn't know about it! But you best know if I did,
I would've put my high school homecoming float skills to use! :)
Another look at all the responses from our first display on campus!
What has Jesus Christ done for you?

Working on our next Family History display on Campus!
Boxing on P-Day

No comments:

Post a Comment